Flip Through the PREVIEW
Taking It For Granted: Heterosexual and Homosexual Relationships: Classroom Activity Kit
by Stephanie Mitelman, M.A., CSE, AASECT Certified Sexuality Educator
This game is first of its kind to get students thinking about sexual orientation, and some issues that LGBT people face that heterosexual people may take for granted.
The game explores the construction of heterosexual actions as “normal”, and what challenges some bisexual and homosexual (both gay and lesbian) people may face; a first step to creating a safe space for LGBT students.
By challenging what is considered normal and showing these difficulties, classes and schools can reduce homophobia and start to create a safe space for all students.
This activity is sure to get students thinking critically about diversity in relationships.
- 3 Category Cards:
- Male-Female Relationships (Heterosexual),
- Male-Male/ Female-Female Relationships (Gay and Lesbian),
- Both Relationships
- 26 Behavior /Action Cards
Some Behavior/Action Cards examples include:
- being able to post a picture of your partner in your locker,
- being able to introduce your spouse to family
- not hiding emails and texts from a boyfriend/ girlfriend.
All the playing pieces in the Print version come laminated so you can use the activity over and over again.