Today’s adolescents have unprecedented access to sexual information.
This is a profound change for this generation of teenagers.
On their own, without having to wait for parents to purchase books or schools to offer programs, they are bringing their sex-related questions, concerns, interests, and hormone-driven needs into the technological arena.
Modern technology has undone centuries of secrecy surrounding sex.
Now it is up to the parents and educators who care about fostering healthy sexual development to bring clarity and purpose to the technological advancements.
Sex Ed in the Digital Age
by Carolyn Cooperman
Sex Ed in the Digital Age includes structured lesson plans designed to equip educators and parents with skills that are necessary for meeting the challenges of the digital age.
The principle objectives of the lesson plans are to help teens become more discriminating about electronic use; to know how to locate accurate information; and to better understand the impact that electronic communications have on self and others.
- Principles for sex education
- Creating a supportive environment for learning about sexual health
- How to use Sex Ed in the Digital Age
- How to use role-play
- Resources section
- Controlling your privacy on Facebook
- With entire sections on:
- INTRODUCING TEENS TO SEX EDUCATION IN THE DIGITAL AGE
- HOW TECHNOLOGY AFFECTS RELATIONSHIPS
- CREATING SAFE, INCLUSIVE PROGRAMS
- PRIVACY, CONSENT, AND SAFETY
- CRITICAL DECISION-MAKING IN A CHANGING WORLD
- PREPARING SEX EDUCATORS AND PARENTS FOR THE DIGITAL AGE
The initial impetus for this project began with an observation that will not come as a surprise to those of us who work in the field of sex education—-teenagers are as interested in technology as they are in sex.
By linking the two, it then becomes possible to tap into an integral part of the adolescent experience. The opportunity to work with young people and explore subject matter that reaches into the core of their development is an exciting prospect for educators.