By Nancy Nowell
PEER AND ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP SKILLS for adolescents who are on the autism spectrum or have intellectual disabilities.
Most hight school students have crushes; but how they are acted upon can be the difference between a budding romance, an embarrassing situation, sexual harassment, or even stalking charges. Students with disabilities want to be like everybody else; they want to have friends to hang out with, including boyfriends and girlfriends. Many students who have disabilities demonstrate poor relationship and romantic relationship skills.
Mike’s Crush Curriculum includes:
– A “Bad Day” video with easy-to-indentify incorrect behaviour if you have a crush.
– A “Good Day” video that demonstrates healthy ways to handle having a “crush”.
– Video Self Modeling (VSM) lessons.
– Visual models for all 8 lessons.
– A detailed 100+ page curriculum of teacher-tested lessons.
– Lessons that are designed to be fun and engaging for students with a wide range of abilities.
– Lessons that teach reading both positive and negative responses in a romantic situation.