Flip Through the PREVIEW
Becoming aware of our beliefs and understanding basic media literacy are essential steps to ensuring a non-discriminatory, non-judgmental, safe space for all youth.
Our stereotypes around gender can hurt people, limit our actions, or be used to empower us.
Beyond Pink and Blue – Classroom Activity Kit
by Stephanie Mitelman, M.A., CSE, AASECT Certified Sexuality Educator
This activity kit will help students be more aware of the assumptions they hold about stereotypes, roles, and gender.
The aim of this game is break down all these barriers, and to highlight that our assumptions may not always be true.
It will also serve as a gateway to discussions about many issues that come up in classrooms around gender and transgender or gender non-conforming people.
Students will be asked to identify what statements they agree or disagree with. Hearing various perspectives on gender roles through this activity will draw out important points of view on how our beliefs affect our perceptions and influence our behaviors.
This kit includes:
- 3 Placement Cards (Agree/ Disagree/ Neutral)
- 45 Instructor Statements
- Sample statements for Boys include:
- ALL BOYS LIKE PLAYING WITH TRUCKS.
- MEN ARE PHYSICALLY STRONGER THAN WOMEN
- MEN WHO ACT FEMININE IN ANY WAY ARE WEAK.
- A MAN SHOULD NOT DATE A WOMAN WHO MAKES MORE MONEY THAN HE DOES
- Sample statements for Girls include:
- ALL GIRLS LIKE PLAYING WITH DOLLS.
- GIRLS CAN HAVE ANY KIND OF JOB A LONG AS THEY WORK HARD.
- GIRLS WHO ARE INTO SPORTS ARE NOT FEMININE.
- GIRLS SHOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN SEX.
SUGGESTED GRADE LEVEL: 7 – 9
All playing pieces in Print version of the kit are laminated so the game can be enjoyed by students over and over again.
P.S. This is the Print version of the program. It contains the same contents as the E-version of the same program.
P.S.S. If you would like to also purchase the E-version of the same program that you can download immediately upon purchase please go to Beyond Pink and Blue – Classroom Activity Kit (Download).